Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Jon Elson

Default cost of welding gas?

Eric R Snow wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:46:53 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) I'm running it 20 cubic feet per minute at 20
psi, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The part I don't get is the "20 psi" part.

It doesn't matter. The psi. All that matters is flow per time. All the
pressure does is push the gas out through an orifice.
ERS

Actually, it may matter. The flowmeters are calibrated for one gas,
at one pressure. If this is a one-piece, non-adjustable TIG regulator,
the flowmeter is probably calibrated for Argon or CO2 at the regulator
pressure. In the most general case, flowmeters are calibrated at STP,
so if the system is at 20 PSI gauge pressure, that is 2.3 Atmospheres,
and so the flowmeter will read somewhat low.

But, assuming the flowmeter was calibrated at this pressure, for this
gas, then PSI makes no difference in the gas consumption.

Jon