Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Default easier dig 2m foundations

Wrote:
Anyone know of a method of digging deep foundations easier than
mini-digger in a limited space ?
For example, I need some 2m foundations which is quite deep, liable to
trench collapse, and
is near a deep sewer, may need shuttering etc.
I can imagine digging say the bottom metre using some sort of
hole-digging device / big
corkscrew or whatever, producing what you could call mini-piles. Pour
each hole individually,
allow to set, dig next one etc. I would just need a suitable device.
I'm sure I've seen such a thing
on the back of a tractor. A 2m trench seems deep, but a 2 meter "hole"
does not, particularly. Any thoughts ?
Simon.

I would like to see the BCO's face when you talk him through your idea.
The reason that every other builder would just dig it with a machine is
because it's the only way to do it, you may have to finish off by hand
if your mini wont reach but hey, buildings hard work sometimes. If
there is any danger of collapse you will have to shore up as you go.
BTW if you look into the cost of piling I think you will gladly choose
the pick and shovel.

--
Nick H