Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Electric cars.

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:45:15 GMT, Roger wrote:

The message ws.net
from "Doctor Drivel" contains these words:

Until you want to heat the car, and have more than two people in it.

Electric motors give off heat. This can be harnessed.

You can't have it both ways Dribble. If electric motors were 100%
efficient there would be no waste heat at all.

With hub mounted electric motors recovery of any waste heat would be a
problem and unsprung weight is traditionally considered undesirable so
why are hub motors the obvious choice?

They aren't that heavy. I am not decided as to whether they are better or
worse.

To an extend its possible to integrate them with the wheel rims. IN a
typical multipole 3 phase motor the magnets are arranged inside a drum
whilst the stator comprises a bunch of interlinked coils. The chief weight
is the magnets on the rim, and the actual ironwork of the stator.

This is a simple arrangement..and easily allows one motor per wheel which
provides excellent traction..whether or not a more complce and heavy system
with a centrally mounted motor and shafts and maybe a reduction gear -
probably more efficient in terms of the motor - is worth the added weight
and complexity - is a moot point.

To change the subject somewhat I remember reading an article in a
technical journal back in 1961 that suggested that hydraulic motors were
the way to go but that never caught on either.