Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default What kind of insulation

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 28-Nov-2005, "RicodJour" wrote:

Go with polyisocyanurate insulation (~R14 for 2") if you feel
it's worth the money, extruded polystyrene (~R8 for 2") if not.

Since there is no constraint on thickness, you could use expanded
polystyrene foam (beadboard) that's thicker. Why pay for a high-
priced insulation that's volume efficient when you can just go with
thicker and cheaper insulation?

Mike

Thanks everyone. It looks like solid core is the most practical solution
from an installation standpoint. I just need to study the price a little
more to see if it is really worthwhile (and find just the right material
locally). I may insulate under one bedroom at first to see if it makes any
difference. I might be able to get a good price from a packing materials
company for foam core like material.

Another Idea that came to me was to string up nylon mesh (or similar) and
fill it with packing popcorn as I get it leftover from shipments at work.
Filling may be gradual but might cost nothing.