Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac
Stormin Mormon

Default stop water from condensing on gas pipe?

Check at the hardware store for foam wrap. Goes around the pipe, and
insulates it. Home Depot has it, both in rigid style, and also a bit softer
style.

Also worth doing something about the cellar humidity. Dehumdifier, maybe? Or
some ventilation to the outdoors.

--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

wrote in message
oups.com...
A few days ago, I noticed that there is some water dripping from the
gas pipe at the place the pipe entering our basement.

Then I found out that the pipe entrance hole is not sealed (we bought
this house just a year a ago). So I guess the water was because the
pipe is cold enough to cause the more humid air in the basement to
condense.

I tried sealing up the hole but it doesn't help.

My question:
1) Why sealing it up doesn't help. Basement is around 57F. Am I missing
something?
2) How do I solve the problem? Is there some kind of material I put on
to at least not let the pipe corrode. I think the pipe is black iron.