Posted to alt.home.repair
Dugie

Default Insulation filler for hollow wood door?

"No" wrote in message ...
"Dugie" wrote in message
Hi,

We have an old, heavy wood door, hollow in places. I can see the spaces

on
by looking through the hole for the peep-hole. There are spaces on both
sides, plus up and down, and I think I could use that as an access.

Are there any insulation products available which I could spray into

that
access hole?

Spray type foams, such as Mastercraft Insulating Foam, seem

inappropriate,
since they expand when drying and might split the door.

Thanks!
Dugie

There are low expanding versions of this stuff. 'Great Stuff' is one brand
off the top of my head. Look for the low expanding versus the standard
stuff. My experience though is that these kind of doors are not completely
hollow they are made up of honeycombs or other supporting structure. You
would need to drill lots of holes to hit each void. That could be possible
and then add a new wood veneer to cover the holes. With all that trouble

you
might as well just get a new door.

Thanks, No. I've heard of 'Great Stuff'. I think my door may be honeycombed,
so I'll only spray what I can reach via the peep hole, and door knob and
dead bolt holes. Drilling holes isn't worth the work.

Besides, I just spent a lot of time cutting raised panels, putting them on
the door, and painting the entire door, so a new door - no way. :-)

Dugie