Roy Hauer

Default On "zinging" bearings with an air jet

When I worked gas turbine engines n the USAF they were pretty darn
fussy on how a bearing was handled. Bearings were routinely inspected
and cleaned and reused, and it was common practice to insert a small
nylon tie through the bearings balls or rollers to keep it from
spinning. Last step was removing the nylon tie, and clean up that
area, and then place bearngs n a ultrasonic cleaner. Just manual
rotation of the bearing was permissable.

Old bearings were another story and many a bearing went off in a
shower of sparks accross shop floors with a boost from a air hose.
--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com