Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Default cost of welding gas?

Ignoramus20878 wrote:

Is that 20 cubic feet per MINUTE or per HOUR?

Ah. I think I'm beginning to see where I was led astray. If it's CFH, and the
tank is rated in cubic feet then the math is trivial. Thanks.

GWE

I think that a simple division would suggest that at 20 cfH, it would
last for 125/20 hours, or approximately 6 hours (note that also some
gas will be left in the tank). You divide the fill cost by 6 (hours)
and then by 60 (min/hr) to get the cost per minute.

Say your fill cost is $48.

Cost per minute = 48/(125/20)/60 = 12.8 cents per minute or $7.68 per hour.

Is there a primer somewhere online or in a book that breaks this down?

Grant Erwin