Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Electric cars.

"Nick Finnigan" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If we take an average of 50% power station efficiency, 90% transmission
efficiency and 80% charge efficiency (these are realistic figures,
according to experience and what data I could find) and apply that to

the
figure of 217wh per mile, we get 36% overall losses...so 602Wh per mile

is
what the power station has to BURN to get the car doing its stuff.That,
applied to diesel at 10KWh per liter gives us an overall 'fuel

consumption'
of 62mpg...on an economy run. So overallI reckon there is nothing to
choose.

Until you want to heat the car, and have more than two people in it.

Electric motors give off heat. This can be harnessed.

Its on-street pollution would be zero,

No, it wouldn't be.

It would. Clean at point of use.

Why aren't peole doing it?

Because there are no advantages over similar cars with IC engines.

You are confused. Please read all again.