Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Victor Roberts

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:43:11 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Victor Roberts wrote:

Most of the GE-brand compact fluorescent lamps sold in the US come from
a very large factory in SW Hungary with an increasing share from China.

I haven't seen a Hungarian GE CFL in years. Haven't looked at anything
other than their mass-market consumer line, but it's been at least five
years since I saw any such a lamp made anywhere other than China.

I retired from GE less than 5 years ago and their CFL
factory in Nagykanizsa was very healthy. You may be looking
at consumer grade spiral lamps, which I believe are mostly
sourced from China. Commercial grade pin-base and screw-base
BIAX (single, double, triple and quad) are still made in
Hungary as far as I know.

I'm not sure about GE-brand HID lamps, but I think most are still made
in the US. Certain HID types, such as arcstream, were developed by Thorn
and made in the UK (Leicester) when I last worked for GE. I believe that
manufacturing for other Thorn-developed lamps, such as the 2-D, is done
in the US, at least for US-distributed product.

A lot of really innovative stuff came out of Thorn, as it seems to me.

I agree.

--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.