Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging IKEA kitchen cabinets

wrote:

What I might be tempted to do is to cut a long thin slot in the
plasterboard 180cm long (or just under) to line up with the fixings
on the cabinets, and set a piece of 2x1 timber into this flush with
the surface of the wall (cutting half an inch back into the battens),
and screwing this timber into the battens. Then you'll have a good
firm support to screw the cupboards to.

I'm a bit reluctant to cut the plasterboard as it looks as if the the
vertical edges of the wallboard sheets are not nailed to the uprights
and some weakness may result. In particular, the cut edges of
plasterboard may not have any/sufficient support??

I would guess that battens could be put on top of the plasterboard but
this would not be ideal.

Does anyone know if the plasterboard would be strong enough to hold
kitchen cabinets (directly) with hollow wall/plasterboard fittings?

Regards

Mike Robinson