Posted to alt.home.repair
MRnice

Default Hot water boiler pressure high

I am emptying the tank again to make sure it is totally empty. I think
air will enter through the drain valve into the tank, which should be a
good thing if I understand how this tank works. I will look for a
valve on the autofeeder, I know on a steam system it regularly fills
which you can see in a guage glass. I am not as familure with Hot
water systems. I guess too much water would push up against the
pressure relief valve causing the 30+ lb. reading on the guage too. Of
course, I know this is a more difficult fix. If I wanted to run the
boiler without the feedwater regulator for a while, how often would I
add water to the boiler? How would I know when it needs it? Thank you
for your suggestion, it seems like the only other reason for high
pressure. The stack is clean, relief valve seems to work only at
preset 30lb. and the temp. is not too high. Do these boilers require
any cleaning , chamber, etc.? I have changed the oil filter, replaced
a bad ignitor last season (my first season in home), and cleaned the
flame scanner eye as well as changed the nozzle. Could lack of prior
maintenance have caused sediment buildup to produce a high stack
pressure causing a problem? Thank you for your advice, Ron