Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Fire/smooke detection in the shop

"rivahrebel" wrote in message
My alarm system installers and designers agreed that smoke detectors would
not be in their best environment in my shop so they utilized a heat

detector
that would alert me to any potential fire problem. So far the system has
worked fine. Recently I had to work on some Coleman lanterns and they

gave
off quite a bit of smoke; was glad I didn't have a smoke detector

installed
so I guess it also would depend on what type of thing you do in your shop.
My 2 cents!

By chance - what did your heat detectors cost compared to smoke detectors?
I've been thinking about the comment I made to Brian and it occurs to me
that the price on heat detectors may well have come down a lot - making them
a reasonable alternative. It wasn't that long ago that they were in orbit
and they just weren't worth the price. The way technology drives prices
down and the way the products often get targeted will also drive prices
down. I might still go with smoke detectors because they will alert to
smoldering conditions that heat detectors may not, but if the price has come
down to a reasonable level, I would have to retract at least the emphasis I
placed on my first post to Brian.

--

-Mike-