Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default Not really OT -- Sharpening a knife blade while not at home

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:50:10 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On 26 Nov 2005 19:12:15 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article XqNhf.209841$ir4.110405@edtnps90, Ted Edwards says...

Norm Dresner wrote:
Recently while I was traveling in a foreign country (Italy if it
matters), I had occasion to need to make the 1-1/2" knife blade on my
pocket knife as sharp as possible -- ideally "scalpel sharp".

I have a folding diamond hone by DMT approx. 5"x1"x1/2". (The handles
fold over the sharpening surface. You should carry one in your fanny
pack or lugage.

Second this. Those things work *great*.

I have a coarse, medium, and fine set for work. I do
my pocketknife whenever it needs it.

Depends on the blade. Diamond is good for restoring an edge -- but a
good blade should not need edge reshaping very often, maybe every few
months with frequent use.

A smooth hard steel rod works well. Leather strop works well for a
very fine edge, but not an edge durable enough for a pocket blade.
I like a crock stick, and I second Gunner's approached of unglazed
porcelain as a very servicable field expedient -- if the edge is in
reasonably good shape to begin with. If coffee is only available in
plastic cups, then chip the urinal....

The upper lip of most toilet tanks is unglazed..

In this country, yes. In Italy, some toilets weren't obvious how to
dismantle them.