Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Hybrid Cars

. ..
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:10:40 +0000, Matt wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:02:49 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:35:58 +0000, Matt wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:34:26 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:27:36 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Have you ever weighed a full fuel tank -£50s worth?. Per weight

modern
state-of-the-art batteries pack a hell of a lot of energy. These
batteries
are not available in volume yet.

Mines about 45kg but it only holds £40 worth.
How much charge can you get in 45kg of battery?

well lemme see..the best battery I have as 22 watt hours roughly and
weighs...rushing to scales...150g..and costs about 50 quid so thats

6.6Kwh.
for 45kg.

I reckon 30KWh is about what you need for a 300 mile range lighweight
electric 'shopping trolley' with a 300 mile range. About £50,000 quid.

:-)

Say 250kg. About the same as a conventional car engine and

transmission and
cooling system.

Batteries on their own will not make a car move, the motor and control
system has to be factored in. In any case 250kg is considerably above
the weight of even some 15 year old engine gearbox combinations
(around the 1.6 litre mark)

I have factored that in elsewhere. Electrivc motirs are considerably
lighter than IC engines and even more os when you strip way te unwanbted
cooling and transmission.

. I was talking about a 200bhp system and a diesel to boot. 1.6 petrol
engines at best might produce 100bhp.

100bhp from a petrol 1.6? get real.

The 100bhp mark in a 1.6 was passed many moons ago, the 100bhp per
LITRE mark in production spec engines (both bike and car) was also
passed quite a while ago, hell you can even get a "washing machine"
Smart fortwo - 698cc that turns out 61 bhp (87bhp/litre)

But forget 200bhp, come up with a weedy "140bhp" power system using
battery storage, with a range even remotely comparable to say the
Passat 2 litre TDi and with similar performance (48.7 mpg combined
cycle, 749 mile range, 0-62 9.8 seconds, 130mph are the figures to aim
for)

Its been done already. Sadly I lost the link. I'll look for it an d post

it
if I get time.

300 miles range, 160mph top speed and 0-60 in sub 6 seconds.

Although I grant you the range on the passat is likley to be greater.

Regardless of price you'd better arrange cryogenic storage for me
though as it will probably take you 500 years to get anywhere near -
unless on board nuclear reactors become the norm :-)

Rubbish. 3 years for some decent concept car, and ten for production.

I've done the sums. Unlike Drivel I AM an enginneer..fully qualified.

You are not. You are from a snot.