Posted to uk.d-i-y
bhads

Default Concrete in cold weather

Thanks for the replies to my query regarding pouring concrete in cold
weather.
Anyhow, this morning I had the concrete poured.
The pump arrived on time, the concrete was half an hour late. The first
thing the readymix driver did was to ask for a cheque or wouldn't provide
the concrete to the pump. I hadn't even got a chance to say hello at this
point.
The readymix had a 125 slump, though an 85 slump had been requested, but the
pump guy assured me this was fine. We poured 5m cubed in about twenty
minutes. I checked the temp of the concrete and discovered it was about as
cold as tap water on a cold winter's morning.
After levelling, I didn't really see the point of the insulating such a cold
mix, but I did so anyway with 25mm polystyrene and some rolls of loft
insulation in plastic sheets. I covered the whole lote with tarp.

Question: will this mix reach a good strength or did I make a mistake in
accepting it?

TIA Bhadan.