DoN. Nichols

Default Helium lifting ability

In article ,
Don Wilkins wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:16:09 GMT, ff wrote:

,;Anyone know offhand without going to too much trouble, what is the ratio
,; for volume of helium to lbs force against gravity ?

I don't think there is an answer to your question but...

I think you are asking about Archimedes principle...

All bodies floating on or submerged in a fluid are buoyed up by a
force exactly equal to the weight of the fluid they displace.

1 cubic foot of air= 0.0807 pounds at 32 F and 1 atm.

1 cubic foot of helium= 0.0111 (same conditions)

And -- of course -- one cubic foot of vacuum would lift the full
0.0807 pounds (again at STP), but the trick is finding a rigid container
which doesn't weigh more than the lift. :-)

If you are planning a trip in a lawn chair that should provide the
needed information.

Be sure to file your flight plan. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564