Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default HW not CH to Bathroom radiator?

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:42:55 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

Can I use the HW in my bathroom radiator rather than the CH ?
I'd like warm towels all year round
of is the only option to fit an electric rad ?

Well you *could*. The problem would be that the radiator would
corrode rather quickly.

Apart from the electric suggestion, there are three ways to do this
from the heating.

1) Use the bathroom radiator as a bypass for the boiler. If you look
at your system, you may find a pipe between the flow and return
from/to the boiler before the motorised valve(s) with something like a
radiator lockshield valve on it. The purpose of this is so that if
the CH and HW thermostats are satisfied and the boiler is in full
burn, there is a path so that the pump can continue to run and
dissipate the heat. You could take this out and replace it with the
connections to the radiator.

2) If there is no bypass, then connect the radiator to the equivalent
positions - i.e. after the pump but before the motorised valve(s).

Either 1) or 2) will heat the bathroom radiator when either the CH or
the HW comes on. It won't when neither is on.

3) Create a separate heating zone. This would need for the system to
be changed to using an S plan configuration - one motorised valve for
HW, one for existing CH and one for bathroom. (see Honeywell content
site for info on this). This would allow completely separate
control for the bathroom but would mean that a suitable thermostat for
a bathroom would be needed.

--

..andy