Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse

Default Coax cable carries electrical current? What is wrong?

"Michael Daly" wrote in message

On 25-Nov-2005, "buffalobill" wrote:

to eliminate worry try plugging your appliance into a portable GFI and
then connect the cable. if the appliance continues to operate without
tripping the GFI, half your worries are over.

If you have a non-polarized two-prong plug on the power cable, first
try reversing it. That may provide proper grounding. I've seen this
kind of grounding problem with older audio equipment. I've never
found out why, but know that unless all the related audio gear is
plugged in with the same plug orientation, you get current leakage.

Mike

I have a TV, a DVD player and a VHS player hooked up at that location. All
the plugs have a "wide" leg and a "skinny" leg. They are all plugged into a
six port surge protector which is plugged into a single outlet. The coax
cable from the attic feeds into the VHS player, and another coax goes from
the VHS player to the TV.

If I unplug the cable to the VHS player but plug it into the TV directly,
there is no current.

I bought a $5.00 three wire circult analyzer and plugged it into the surge
protector outlet and the two yellow light lit up but not the red light. So
if I am reading the instructions right it means it's wired correctly.

Where should I go look next?

Thanks,

MC