Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff

Default What kind of insulation

One possibility. Put nails in the beams every two feet, leaving enough
space between the heads and beams to wrap a loop of steel wire. Run two 23
wide insulation rolls between the beams and use the wire to hold in place,
i.e. the insulation is resting on wires. Kind of a PITA to do this way, but
might work.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...
I want to insulate the bottom of the floor (inside crawlspace). The
problem is the floor joists are nowhere near 16" on center. My single
story 1000SF house is built on a deck like subfloor. It is made up of 4x8
beams running the length of the house set 4 feet apart with 2x8 tongue and
grooved planks set perpendicular. The result is a thick solid floor with
few beams underneith.

To put it another way, the floor joists are 4 feet apart and the
crawlspace access is a 2'x2" hole in the closet floor.

I was considering 4x8 sheets of solid core insulating panels cut in half
the long way but this would be expensive and would not have as good R
value as fiberglass. I would need to double or triple up on them to get
the same R

Has anyone seen a product that sounds like it would work well here or am I
stuck using 16" wide rolls and stapling in strips to the underside of the
subfloor instead of the joists. This is not ideal because it would
compress the edges of the insulation.

Do you think installing paper faced insulation with the paper up so I can
staple through it is a good solution?

Fortunately, I am in northern CA and the climate is mild.