Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
ameijers

Default Why is the installation the most important part of choosing a furnace?

"Greg O" wrote in message
"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...

(snip)

Ever see a chimney vented down hill?

(snip)
One of the worst installers I have ever seen worked for the same company I
work for! ( No longer!) He knew it all, but in reality know very little.

He
would do something wrong and you could show him in the install manual
proving he was wrong, but no, he knew more than the manufacturer!

When I do an install I take a few minutes to go through the manual, even

if
I have installed the same equipment before, things change! I check my gas
supply to make sure it is adequate, even on a change out of similar
equipment. I measure duct work to make sure the duct is of reasonable

size,
too big or too small is bad. I lay cardboard on the floor in the working
area to catch drips of pipe dope and PVC solvents. I use a level to get
pipes straight and neat. On start up I check amps, gas pressure, temp

rise,
blower speed, AC pressures, super heat/sub cooling, and more depending on
what is required. When it is all done, I get a broom and dust pan from my
truck and sweep up the area, perhaps even wash the floor if needed.
I have seen installs where they set the furnace in place, hooked up the

gas,
duct, and vent then start it up and run. . Not one test was made to ensure
it was running properly and the install manual is still sealed shut,

rolled
up in the furnace.
Greg

Hope I can find somebody like you in my town, when I break down and contract
for the furnace upgrade I need, sometime in the next year. Even though I
grew up in the construction business, and basically know what is and isn't
good workmanlike practice for mechnical installations, I dread the prospect
of having to play roulette with the local tradesmen, and walking that fine
line between micro-managing and ****ing off a good guy, and staying away on
install day, thereby rolling over for a possible quack. As an installer, how
did you feel about the owner standing there and watching, as long as they
kept their mouth shut and didn't get in the way? (Still getting over a bad
experience with a plumber that came highly recommended, but made stupid
mistakes, and had to be called back twice for followups. I wasn't in the
house for his work, but probably should have been.)

aem sends....