Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein

Default LED Xmas lights

In article 2z3gf.3613$kw2.1313@trnddc05, James Sweet wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Art Todesco wrote:

Plus, they blink! I don't understand
why they don't put in full wave rectifiers.
Yes I do, it's all $$$$, but I'd gladly
pay an extra $1 for the rectifier.
Most of them that I have seen are on for
120th of a second and off for the
same.

You are really fast with that stop watch. :-)

No, but, if you move your head, you can definitely see it.
And, it is irritating to some.

Yes it really is very noticeable, it was my main objection to LED
lights, but I picked up a pack of Philips LED's this year since they
were on sale and they're fairly bright so I'm gonna solder a bridge
rectifier into them just after the plug and seal it in heatshrink tubing.

Make sure the LEDs don't overheat from getting twice as much average
current! But if nothing goes wrong, they will not only not flicker but
they will also be brighter.

Keep in mind that if they are going to overheat, they may not do so
quickly.
One thing that can happen is "thermal runaway" - where higher
temperature makes the LEDs more conductive, and this situation reinforces
itself. This may wait until a moment when the line voltage or the ambient
temperature is higher.
Keep in mind that such a modification voids UL certification and
increases your liability should a fire start - even if a flaw in the
product was a contributing factor to the fire.

- Don Klipstein )