Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Matthew Long

Default My new TV has 3 dead pixels...

Odd, I've never seen dead pixels on a CRT, must be some debris in the
shadow mask, or holes that didn't get fully etched. It's very unlikely for
more to develop, if it doesn't bother you just leave it alone, if it does,
you may be able to return it but it might not be worth the effort.
Personally I think the dead pixels would drive me nuts if they're in the
center portion of the screen, around the edges or corners I wouldn't care
as much.

There's one nearish to the middle, and a couple in the left area of the
screen. None are near each other. To be honest, you really don't notice
them. I was just concerned that more might go out. But I've learnt that
they're not actual pixels on CRT televisions! But like you said, just
holes - So like you said, it sounds like there won't be anymore!

One other thing I have noticed with my new TV is when viewing pictures, it
looks fine. But, if a light image comes into the picture, the whole screen
seems to darken down a touch. Not a lot, but if you're watching a moving
picture where something light is coming in and out of the picture fast (Like
someone walking down a corridor), the whole screen has a slight flickering
effect. Also, pressing the TV info button, to get the information banner up,
the sane thing happens. Like I said, it's very slight, but once you notice
it, it's annoying! Any ideas? It's something I can easily live with, but
I've not seen it on previous TV's I've had in the past!

Matthew Long