Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Default Concrete in cold weather

bhads Wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1m trench at the rear or my house ready for some concrete to
be
pumped in later in the week (about 5m cubed).
The readymix people and the pump people said the weather isn't so cold
that
I should put it off. But I'm not so sure.
I'm in the East Midlands and the daytime temps are set to be about 2
degrees.
Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA. bhads.

The concrete "in the ground" will be fine unless it gets very cold, its
just the top few inches you need to worry about. Once its been levelled
you should spread a good layer ( say 4") of straw over the top to
insulate it and keep the frost off, if you can cover that with tarps or
plastic sheeting all the better. The concrete generates a lot of heat as
it cures and so will naturally protect itself from frost, its the
surface where the damage is done.

--
Nick H