Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Hybrid Cars

"David" wrote in message
In article ews.net,
Doctor Drivel writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:23:04 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article

ews.net,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You have to take into account the total weight of the vehicle. IC
engines, transmissions an fuel tanks are bulky and heavy with knock

ons
like heavier suspension, bigger stronger bodies, etc. The new
Mitsubishi, to be launched ion Japan in about 3 to 4 years, has an
electric motor in wheel hub setup. The total weight of the car is

less
vs. the IC equiv, giving the designer greater licence.

Indeed. Until you fit it with batteries capable of giving a 500 mile

range
at 70+ mph.

I have never driven a car with a 500 mile range. 300 is average, and I

have
had some that were less thahn 200, and a few that were over 300. None

will
crack 400 even, let alone 500.

My 2.2dci Espace had a 17 gallon tank and did 40 mpg on the motorway

and
regularly went over 600 miles between fill ups, I know because I reset
the mileometer each time for the records, whether you class it as a car
though...

I know what you mean Bertie. The Espace came bottom of the 170 car Top

Gear
survey.

Ahh, it doesn't surprise me that you have faith in surveys John, I had
the Espace for 2 years and the only thing that went wrong with it was a
rock through the oil cooler, it was easily the most satisfying and
versatile "car"

Bertie, I'm sure you did think that, but you are about the only one who has
then.