Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
PipeDown

Default Why is the installation the most important part of choosing a furnace?

"SQLit" wrote in message

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've been doing some research in preparation for next year when I will
be replacing my gas furnace and a lot of people seem to mention that
the make of the furnace doesn't matter as much as the quality of the
installation ... but what exactly does that mean?

The furnance comes preassembled from the factory more or less so it's
not like the contractor is building the thing. How can a poor
installation ruin a good furnace? What makes it a poor installation?
Are we talking about the preparation part of the installation, like
getting the correct size (BTUs), proper chimney size, correct vent
sizes, etc. ... or are those persons refering specifically to the
installation part ... what can go wrong during that part?

Thanks,
Harry

P.S. The more technical the information you provide the better ...
thanks.

What about the electrical, sheet metal and other plumbing connections?

I assume you did your manual calculations, for capacity and for air flow.
You know how to calculate the volume that your duct work can handle right?

What makes it a poor installation? Your kidding! What can go wrong,,,,,
gee
the list is almost endless.

If your changing exact model numbers and the same manufacture then you MAY
have an easy go of it.

Lastly a qualified,licensed installer warranties the installation and
equipment. Most of the mechanical manufactures I know do not sell to
homeowners and will not warranty anything directly to an home owner.

Endless list...... Can you offer at least the first few entries to give us
a flavor.

In the OPs situation perhaps installation and features/efficiency are more
balanced in importance.

In a furnace replacement, at least some sheet metal will need to be
bent/formed to interface the new furnace to the old ducts. Naturally, here
is a place where workmanship can matter. Lead time can be effected too if
they need to go to a third party shop for sheet metal or can do it on site
in the back of the truck.

Furthermore, you may have chosen a furnace with different features which
must be accounted for. Building codes may have changed over the years so
what was done then may not be acceptable now. A good installer will know
this as second nature but a green guy might just swap things over 1 for 1
not knowing an upgrade was required.

Newer model furnaces have complicated control systems and sensors not found
on older models. It may not be obvious to a new owner or green installer if
something is set marginally wrong and the procedures for adjusting those
things may not be obvious. Reading the manual and calling tech support can
help but you need to know when you need to do that.

IMO the make, features and efficiency are most important while you choose a
model but the installation is most important when choosing a
dealer/installer. Since most dealers sell limited models and brands, You
will need to find the optimal point between these two factors. I would say
that if a dealer can answer your question satisfactorally, then use him.