Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

Default Why does everyone here seem to dislike HD?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't get it. I don't have a problem with them and they seem cheaper
than Lowes.

I don't dislike them. I shop at both of them. But the facts are they are
both big retail gaints that stifle other businesses by selling a lot of
second class stuff. And maintaining an inventory of fast moving items but
not bothering to stock the slower selling parts and supplies that are
sometimes needed.

A case in point. I recently needed to replace about 300 liner feet of 3/4"
roof decking. Lowes now only stocks "appearence grade" 1x6 and 1x8 lumber.
Recalling that Furrows used to stock #3 lumber for decking I let my fingers
walk through the lumber yards that mostly cater to contractors. Found a
local outlet of a regional chain that said sure we have.

Surprise. Surprise. Their #3 grade which was properly stored laying flat
was almost equal to the "appearance grade" stuff at Lowes at about half the
price. To be fair it did have a few more solid knots. Wonderful wood for
roof decking.

I will still shop Lowes and HD but if I need a quantity of lumber guess
where I will be buying it.

Colbyt