Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick

Default What tool to use to drop a wire down inside a wall to the basement?

"dean" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to install a thermostat and need to install it in my wall,

and
drop the cable down through the gap (which may have insulation) and
down through a hole in the basement ceiling. Any tips here? I was
planning to cut out a section of the wall maybe 6" x x18" tall at

the
bottom of the wall so I can get a drill in and can grab the cable

from
inside.

Thanks,

Dean

Drill a hole from the basement into the wall cavity
Drill a hole where the thermostat is going to be mounted
Tie a small nut to a piece of string and drop it in the hole. Feed the
string in until the nut hits the bottom
Straighten a coathanger, attach a 6 inch piece of ball chain to the
end
Stick the end of the hanger into the ceiling hole and spin it until
the chain snags the string
Pull the string through the hole

Or if you feel lucky, use a tape made for fishing data cable and see
if you can snag the string from the ceiling up