Posted to alt.coatings.paint,alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Default Suggestions please: Alternate equivalents to Varathane "Colors In Plastic" (polyurethane) paint?

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:03:21 GMT, "Ken Moiarty"
wrote:

I've been trying to do some sprucing up some assorted fixtures,
moldings, and other miscellaneous household surfaces by brushing on white
Varathane 'Colours In Plastic' (oil based polyurethane) paint. However, I'm
finally throwing in the towel as far as using a brush with this stuff is
concerned: Can't seem to avoid the creation of little pin-head sized bubbles
everywhere. Most of these bubbles eventually pop on their own, but always
too late in the setting process not to leave tiny pimple-like craters
scattered everywhere, simply making for an unacceptable finish. I'm going
to have to switch to applying Varathane paint by spray from here on. (I've
discovered there's no problem with bubbles when applying the Varathane by
spray.)
But spray painting means having to move or remove whatever I want to
paint with this stuff into an area suitable for spray painting and this just
isn't practical for every surface I would like to touch up. Therefore, I'm
looking for suggestions as to other products and/or other types of paint I
might turn to that are like Varathane insofar as they produce a smooth, hard
and durable enamel-like coating, but without the problem of countless
micro-bubbles forming when being applied by brush.

Are you using something to either thin the paint or accelerate the
drying? Are you trying to apply the paint it too thick a coat at once?