Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

Default How do you paint Formica-type laminate

geezer wrote:
How do you paint Formica-type laminate?

Thanks

I used a Zinsser primer, probably B-I-N shellac based, to paint a
cabinet covered with laminate. The label stated that it could be used
on laminate. I checked the Zinsser website, and found a list of
applications, but they don't show laminate.

http://www.zinsser.com/Primerapps.asp?

Zinsser is a popular brand for tough jobs, and the shellac base is a
little more difficult to use because it dries quickly and has strong
fumes. Need adequate vent, fire hazard. I used oil base semi paint,
and it holds up very nicely. Sure would not consider paint if this is
for a counter top. Must make sure the surface is clean and free of
dust, mildew, grease, etc. Denatured alcohol good for getting last
traces of grease.