Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Round 'Em Up and Corral Them

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:54:37 -0600, John T wrote:

I haven't done a whole lot of turning yet, but with my jet mini, I find
I just stick my tools under the lathe on the tabletop. I think if I ever
mounted it on a stand, I'd come up with something like the tubes, but
laid in a row at angle under the lathe.

John

I do that with the 1 or 2 chisels that I'm using on the bowl, but you need
somewhere to keep the rest of them handy...

I'm looking for a better system, but right now I use a piece of plywood about 6"
x 30" with a staggered double row of holes the size of the chisel ferrules,
fastened as a shelf under my "turning pegboard" wall...
Being anal, I keep them in the same place/hole all the time so that I can reach
almost without looking behind me to grab a tool...

One word of caution regarding resting tools under the mini....
Besides burying them in shavings, you also have a good chance of dinging the
cutting edge of the tool against the motor or base of the lathe.. DAMHIKT

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing