Posted to rec.woodworking
Jane & David

Default Safety to the extreme at Home Depot

In article ,
Brian Elfert wrote:

I was walking through a Home Depot the other day and came upon the RAS in
the lumber area. It had some fancy new jig on it for crosscutting lumber.
It was a monstrosity. There is basically no way of getting anywhere close
to the blade.

The lumber is slid in and a handle pushes the lumber up against the fence.
No hand is required to hold the wood and they even have a resting spot for
the free hand. The blade slides through a slot with a blade guard
covering the blade 100%.

This seems like safety taken to the extreme. Only someone brain dead
could possibly get hurt.

Brian Elfert

Well, you never know. Back in my pizza slinging days, a new bus boy was
cleaning the meat slicer. Those commercial slicers were pretty well
guarded to keep up from cutting off our fingers. But somehow, and with
the safety guards in place, this dumb SOB found a way to cut his elbow!

PDX David