Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB

Default $200 Harbor Freight Bandsaw Review

"Jerry Foster" wrote in message
. com...

I've had one of these for 5+ years and have gotten a lot of work out of it
with no problems. The original blade, of course, lasted about 5 minutes,
but I run Sterrett blades in it and they go quite a while, especially
considering I cut mostly steel tubing with it. The motor gets quite warm,
but it is still hanging in there.

Where I had problems was with the sloppy/floppy sheet metal stand. I
finally welded up a decent one and am very happy with the machine.

Jerry

First thing I did was to make a stand with wheels on it, and a tray for
tools and tape measure and all that. Then I made a little piece that holds
the blade off of the work so I can measure and slide the material in or out
and not have it riding on the blade.

I figure for the $149 I paid for it, I will treat it like a $149 car - if
it ever gives up the ghost, I'll try to fix it, and if that is not possible,
just shoot it and leave it lay where it falls.

My Makita abrasive chop saw was stolen, and I do not miss it one bit. I do
prefer the band saws, and will probably get a better one when a used one
presents itself.

Steve