Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Question about watchmakers lathe uses

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:39:54 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

CAMCOMPCO wrote:

Saw this on eBay, it already sold:

Rare Boley F1 8mm WW Instrument and Watchmakers Lathe
Made in Germany Boley's most precise 5 day Auction!! Item number:
5056628181

My question is this: What can you do on this that you cannot do on a
new condition quality lathe. I have a like-new Colchester 13" and am
wondering what this watchmakers lathe can do that I can't...

I consistently work in 0.001 specs with no problem, If I have a full
set of collets and a collet drawbar, what would keep me from working as
precisely with my lathe as I could with the watchmakers lathe mentioned
above?

Thanks all.....

Find a 21-jewel lady's watch (preferably a dead one that has no value to
speak of). Take it apart. Try to duplicate the smallest those parts on
your lathe. I think after you've tried it you'll understand what the Boley
will do that your lathe won't.

John

Indeed. And working to .001 is like doing heart surgery with an ax,
when it comes to watches of this nature.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner