Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar

Peter Parry wrote:
On 25 Nov 2005 05:48:12 -0800, wrote:
Peter Parry wrote:

How do you collect something which isn't there in adequate amounts to
begin with? Or are you suggesting it should have a heat store with
several days reserve capacity?

You're effectively asking me what are the deficiencies of the system
you measured, when I havent seen it, have no figures etc. So its very
difficult to say where your particular system would be deficient.

You made the statement that it was inadequately for the job. Whilst
it was being monitored it achieved results which were broadly similar
to those achieved from the 7 commercial systems tested by the DTI in
their report DTI/Pub URN 01/1202 (available at
http://www.dti.gov.uk/renewables/pub...load=01%2F1292)

These are listed in Annex C to the report.

From the fact that the results I measured on my system and those
obtained by the DTI in their tests of commercial systems were similar
I conclude that my installation and design was quite adequate. I was
puzzled as to why you considered it to be inadequate

IIRC you said it did not provide a satisfactory supply of hot water,
and did not pay back its installation cost. That would seem to me to
make it inadequate on both grounds.

- if it was then
it makes all the commercial systems tested by the DTI also
inadequate.

I would very much expect so, yes. If I had to generalise, I would
generally say forget about commercial solar systems if youre serious
about solar. Commercial setups seem to appeal more to people that just
want the feelgood factor and dont want any hassle like maths, ROI,
building a system or anything like that.

If you want a serious system design, alt.solar.thermal is the place to
go. But expect a lot of reading and thinking before coming to a
decision on design, be clear what your goals are, and listen to Mr
Pine.

NT