Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Sawney Beane

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Steve Firth wrote:

Sawney Beane wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:

I'm not familiar with GEC bulbs, but I agree with you that
importing from China may be the best way to give the English
consumer access to quality light bulbs.

You'll find them sold with a GE logo in the USA.

GE sold their consumer-products brand to a French company. I have
various GE medium-base bulbs in my box. They say in several
languages, "Imported by GE." They also say they were made in the
United States. So when the French want world-class bulbs, they
depend on American ingenuity, productivity, quality control, etc
etc etc.

My Sylvania bulbs were made in Saint Marys PA and have French
labels. The only foreign bulbs are GE night-light bulbs from the Philippines.

I have fifteen store-brand bulbs. Their origin is not labeled. To
me, that means store buyers found that American bulbs offered the
best value and that American brand names fetch a premium on the
wholesale market.