Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Sawney Beane wrote:

If I had a world map I could see if there's some place closer than
China for England to buy light bulbs. I'd love to have a map that
was color coded to show which countries have a chip on their
shoulder. Resentment of American superiority is the height of
arrogance, don't you think?

If it was resentment of a superior product, then yes. However,
America, as with any other country you care to name, has both good and
bad. I've seen some really terrible products that were made in the US,
and some very good ones.

A few years ago most of what was coming out of China, for some reason
they seemed to export mainly plastic toys, was absolute junk; today,
just a few years later they are making some very high quality products;
Apple computers, for example. Of course, they're still making junk as
well, like anywhere else. The British GEC (General Electric Company)
is not connected with the American GE; some GE flashbulbs that I have
even state on the box that there's no connection.

I have a GE (American) SON lamp on my desk in front of me at the
moment; it's clearly marked 'Made in Hungary'. The origin of the
company is no indication as to where the product is made.