Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self

Default Update on a previous post on the Delta Hybrid Saw (36-717)

Swingman wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Swingman wrote:

I keep marveling at how prescient Orwell was in "1984" ... and I'll say

it
again - the effect of B & D taking over Delta is analogous to Home Depot
taking over Lee Valley.

Oh, man. I already had an upset stomach keeping me home. I don't have
any problem with B&D tools in the proper atmosphere (just got a new
Workmate 425, in fact), but I sure hope your analogy nevers come close
to being true.

You and me both. But we have both lived long enough to realize that the
driving force behind a company the likes of LV is mortal, and therefore
fragile ... did you ever think you'd see a Ford Jaguar?

Since the subject came up, I just went out to the shop and performed an
"upgrade" to the height adjustment rod of my PC 7529 plunge base router (I
replaced the plastic tightening "knob" with a 7/16" nut).

Since I only paid $40 for it at a garage sale, I don't feel too bad about it
being shoddier than my older PC routers, but it sure gives you an accurate
gauge of just how far down the quality ladder PC has come in the last 5 to
10 years, particularly when compared, side by side, to the plunge base I
bought for the 690's when PC first came out with it.

It's an excellent benchmark. The difference is quality is startling.

Makes you pity all the new woodworkers joining the ranks who, from lack of
perspective, are oblivious to the difference.

Hope you get to feeling better ...

Let's hope that one or more of Rob's children show an interest in, and
talent for, the business.