Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

Default Question about watchmakers lathe uses

CAMCOMPCO wrote:

Saw this on eBay, it already sold:

Rare Boley F1 8mm WW Instrument and Watchmakers Lathe
Made in Germany Boley's most precise 5 day Auction!! Item number:
5056628181

My question is this: What can you do on this that you cannot do on a
new condition quality lathe. I have a like-new Colchester 13" and am
wondering what this watchmakers lathe can do that I can't...

I consistently work in 0.001 specs with no problem, If I have a full
set of collets and a collet drawbar, what would keep me from working as
precisely with my lathe as I could with the watchmakers lathe mentioned
above?

Thanks all.....

Find a 21-jewel lady's watch (preferably a dead one that has no value to
speak of). Take it apart. Try to duplicate the smallest those parts on
your lathe. I think after you've tried it you'll understand what the Boley
will do that your lathe won't.

John

--
--John