Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Sawney Beane

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Steve Firth wrote:

Sawney Beane wrote:

An American can save money by buying unfamiliar foreign brands of
Edison-base bulbs. They may be more troublesome than the familiar
brands.

Bwhahahahahahaha

GEC bulbs used to be manufactured at the Ediswan factory in Leicester
(UK) and exported to the USA. Nowadays they are made in China.

What you are revealing is the usual parochial American belief that
anything "American" must be better than anything "foreign". And too dumb
to realise that most manufactured "American" goods now come from Mexico,
Taiwan and China.

What I am revealing is the result decades of happy experience with
perhaps a thousand American bulbs. I've seen foreign-made bulbs
whose threads were an unfamiliar alloy and whose center terminal
was softer than in American bulbs. I don't recall any trouble with
them and would have bought them again as long as they performed okay.

I didn't realize American bulbs were better until I read the
negative remarks about English screw-in bulbs in this thread. I
can't imagine living in a country where the light bulbs are so bad
that some prefer to use potatoes (another American invention).

I'm not familiar with GEC bulbs, but I agree with you that
importing from China may be the best way to give the English
consumer access to quality light bulbs.

If I had a world map I could see if there's some place closer than
China for England to buy light bulbs. I'd love to have a map that
was color coded to show which countries have a chip on their
shoulder. Resentment of American superiority is the height of
arrogance, don't you think?