Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
David Lee

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

Matt wrote...
BTW does anyone happen to know what the Sheffield supply voltage was back
in
the 1950s - I remember a van coming down the street and engineers
converting
all our appliances to work on 240V AC but for the life of me I can't
remember what it was before that.

There is a list online somewhere, google ought to turn it up.

You would think so but I've never been able to find anything useful. Google
is really frustrating when you have been used to proper bibliographic search
engines with real Boolean search, word stemming and wildcard facilities.
Alta Vista used to be best for that but apparently the facility is far too
expensive to maintain so all the search engines have now dumbed down to a
price.

David