Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Watkinson

Default Ballpark figure for replacement door and window?

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
.. .
In article .com,
"Nndroid" writes:
Apologies, it's not exactly DIY but I thought you would know best.

I need to replace a single-unit kitchen window, door and surrounding
frames etc. They're rotten and falling to bits. For speed and ease,
I've called Everest windows to come and give a quote on Weds morning
but I would like to be forearmed. Can anyone give me a rough idea of
how much it ought to cost? We're after a double-glazed door and window
with wooden frames, as befits a traditional North London terraced house
conversion. Any thoughts and suggestions are most welcome. Thankyou!

IRC, Everest quoted about 4 times the price I eventually paid
a local installer. Above all, DONT SIGN ANYTHING DURING THE
VISIT. You must get more quotes first for comparison. Ask for
recommendations from neighbours, or failing that, from a local
independant glazing shop.

You will also know the salesman as well as you know your closest relatives
before they eventually leave. They will astonish you with how much they
want.

--
Andrew Gabriel