Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Hybrid Cars

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:30:43 +0000, Matt wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:56:59 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Have you ever weighed a full fuel tank -£50s worth?. Per weight modern
state-of-the-art batteries pack a hell of a lot of energy. These

batteries
are not available in volume yet.

Have you ever considered the energy in a fuel tank - say £50 worth?
Now compare that to "modern state-of-the-art batteries"

They don't even come within the same order of magnitude.

They do actually...just.

If you factor in the 20% averag efficiency of a car engine and the 80%
efficiency of an electric motor, it all can be done.

As I said, I reckon 30KWh for a small car is about the same as 30 quids
worth of petrol.

Also the overall weight of car is less with an electric car. The IC engines
is big and heavy along with transmission and fuel tank. It has to drag all
that weight around.

An electric car is a small wheel in hub motor and a set of batteries and no
heavy suspension and heavy body to support it either. The power to weight
ratio of an electric beats an IC.