Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Hybrid Cars

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:27:36 GMT, dennis@home wrote:

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

Have you ever weighed a full fuel tank -£50s worth?. Per weight modern
state-of-the-art batteries pack a hell of a lot of energy. These
batteries
are not available in volume yet.

Mines about 45kg but it only holds £40 worth.
How much charge can you get in 45kg of battery?

well lemme see..the best battery I have as 22 watt hours roughly and
weighs...rushing to scales...150g..and costs about 50 quid so thats 6.6Kwh.
for 45kg.

I reckon 30KWh is about what you need for a 300 mile range lighweight
electric 'shopping trolley' with a 300 mile range. About £50,000 quid. :-)

Say 250kg. About the same as a conventional car engine and transmission and
cooling system.

In this case Drivel has randomly hit upon a real factoid.

Adequate batterys are available,

But not yet, at sensible prices.