Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,uk.d-i-y,sci.engr.lighting
Clive Mitchell

Default UK question: ES light bulb better than bayonet?

In message . com,
writes
Any common mains Voltage certainly can be fatal, it is sensible to use
good quality fittings, e.g. ones which do not fall apart when touched,
and to take care, which I was not doing, particularly as a child, under
5, when I had a habit of exploring the insides of things like table
lamps and mains radio sets; we had an old radio with the screws
securing the fibre back missing, and the valves inside it used to
fascinate me. Unfortunately, the exposed incomming mains connections
were very easy to touch. My first experience should have put me off
doing so, but it didn't, it took several more for me to learn the
lesson. At that age I knew that it was unpleasant, but I didn't
understand the risk.

Round about the same age I stripped my mums vacuum cleaner to bits. I
distinctly remember having extreme difficulty getting the motor to sit
back in properly.

(I always wonder if the thing had been unplugged at the time!)

Subsequently my mum foolishly gave me a battery and torch lamp to play
with and it all went wrong from there.

--
Clive Mitchell
http:/www.bigclive.com