Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Default Leaving Heating on Whilst on Holiday

Kevin wrote:

Normally if I was on holiday for 2 weeks at Christmas I would switch
the heating off and turn the water off just in case.
With very cold weather predicted I just wonder if it would be
advisable to leave the heating on the programmer but turn the
thermostat down a bit. As I see it if it still freezes I am stuffed
so I might aswell switch the heating and water off.
What do other people do?

Kevin

Maybe this is the time to fit a programmable thermostat (such as the
Honeywell CM67) in place of your existing room stat, if you haven't already
got one?

This would enable you to:
* use the 'holiday' setting so that the heating is off* while you are away,
but comes back on -to normal temperature settings - (say) the day before
your scheduled return, so that you come back to a nice warm house
* use the stat as a frost stat while you are away. * 'Off' isn't actually
off - but simply controls to a much lower specifiable temperature (typically
5 degrees) and switches the heating on if the temperature falls below this.
So the heating will only come on if it is necessary to prevent everything
from freezing up.

This is what I do when I go away in the winter.
--
Cheers,
Set Square