Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default jointing problem - rocker on long edges

I'm not sure if I understand the "bow side down".
If you were to lay the board (on edge) on a flat table and see a gap
in the middle, start your piece centered over the cutter and take a
little off of one end then turn the piece around and take a little off
the other end until you get the piece straight. If the bow is bad
enough you may need to make one pass closer to the end and the another
(on the same end) more towards the middle and repeat the same
procedure on the other end. Make the final pass with the grain
running in the correct direction after you've made the piece straight.
If the problem is the other way where your board (on edge) will rock
on a flat surface, start at one end and run to the middle of the
piece, then turn the piece and run back to where your first cut
stopped in the middle. Again, once the piece is straight, make your
final pass with the grain running in the proper direction.
If the piece is bowed (in either direction) you want to make the piece
straight before you make full passes.

Mike O.

Thanks for the technique Mike, I will use it but I don't know about that
chopping against the grain, one never knows how much will get chopped
off.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com