Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Default PVC repair-coupling leaks

The most simple solution would be to use no-hub band clamps on
both joints with no glue.
http://www.fernco.com/NH.asp

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"oldee" wrote in message
oups.com...
I found a leak in the connection of a 3" PVC drain during wet
testing.
I cut out the bad fitting and replaced it with a length of pipe
that
has a regular coupler on one end and a repair-coupler on the
other.
These pipes will not move lengthwise so a regular coupler can
not be
put on both ends. The repair-coupler has no center ridge so it
can
slide completely over one pipe and after the pipes are aligned
it can
be center over both pipes. I have tried this four times, cutting
out
more sections but I always get a leaky joint.

I install the pipe and regular coupler on one end before
installing the
repair-coupler. I put glue on the ends of both pipes, the
repair-coupler and more glue on the pipes. I shove the
repair-coupler
on one pipe so it doesn't stick out, align the pipes and pull
the
repair-coupler back over both pipes. I try to twist the
repair-coupler
a quarter turn; the results vary but with regular glue I was
able to
twist it OK.

I have tried both Oatey Heavy Duty PVC Cement (green) and Oatey
Regular
PVC Cement (gold). The heavy duty stuff is thick and doesn't
give me
enough time. Once it dried so fast I couldn't pull the
repair-coupler
back over both pipes. Another time I was able to center the
repair-coupler but it took a huge effort. The regular glue was
much
easier to work with but in all cases I ended up with a leaky
joint. I
test by filling the pipe with water after two hours of dry time.
There
is no pressure other than the weight of the water. This is what
my
inspector wants me to do.

Could it be too cold? Its about 50F in my attic where this
problem is.

Is there a better technique? I noticed it leaks on the side of
the
coupler were the second pipe is attached. The pipe that I slid
the
coupler complete on before centering is OK.

With the heavy duty cement I cleaned the pipes with Oatley
Cleaner
(yellow). With the regular cement I cleaned the pipes with
100-grit
sand paper. Could this be a problem?

Has anyone used these PVC repair-couplers? I doesn't seem like
it
should be this hard. I'd rather not use the rubber things.

...old-ee