Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike O.

Default trimming masonite doors questions

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:46:02 GMT, skeezics wrote:

i have seen these national hinges and while they reguire no bevel as
you say they are about the worst excuse for a hinge i have ever used.
JMHO of course. if as you say only 1/16 " margin is right on a res
door then why are res jambs full width of the size they are suposed to
be and the doors machined 1/4" smaller?

If the doors are 1/4" smaller, my guess is they have been machined
that way for hanging. The blank doors we get are a full size (on the
non beveled side) whether 2/0,2/4,2/6 or whatever. As far as swaged
hinges go I believe that all of the manufacturers make hinges that are
either standard design or swaged in one configuration or another. I
believe the ones we see on pre-hungs here are actually "one leaf
half-swaged".

probly so you get a 1/8"
margin on each side. i dont doubt your experiance either but ask your
self this if you only have one side of a presized door beveled how can
you reverse the hand? i have probly hung 100000 comercial doors over
the years and every one of em was either pre machined and beveled both
sides or i had to do the machining myself and make them that way.

With slab doors the doors are still reversible by turning the door so
that the bottom is now the top. The real problem with this method is
that you cannot hang the door according to any warp that might be in
the door.
As far as colonist (or other style) masonite doors, the lumber yards
and mills we deal with order them in bulk as rights and lefts. They
do no processing of any bevel on the doors because the lock side is
already beveled from the factory. These doors also only have one lock
block. When we get them, the primer is still on all six sides so I
know they are not beveled locally.
Another problem is that if we order a blank for a pocket door, we
have to actually take the bevel off of the door since the oposite flat
edge has no lock block. No one here is stocking a true blank.

depends on what the customer ordered. i have also hung several
thousand res doors and they are beveled both sides also. i get em from
the borg and lumber yards and door companies. around here they are
beveled both sides and lock blocks are installed on both sides so they
can be handed either way. the manufacturers do not distinguish LH or
RH they only care about what style.if ya think about it it does make
some sense on their part. because they can make em all the same and
eliminate some errors.

I would agree that this does make sense and that is the way it has
always been done before the last 4 or 5 years here. I'll tell you I
was just as surprised as anyone when I saw the first door milled this
way. There has to be some kind of financial reason for the change.

trip..any way i stand by my statement that a properly hung door is
beveled both sides. its the way i was taught and the way i will always
do it. i may be wrong but im too old to change now.

That's the way I was taught to do it also. I'm not saying it's wrong
either. What I am saying is that the first thing I do is open the
case of hinges to see if they are swaged.:-)

Mike O.