Posted to uk.d-i-y
somebody

Default Steel reinforcement in concrete ?

In message , Don
writes
Due to possible bad ground conditions, I may have to use a raft foundation
in my 25sq M, single storey, flat roof extension. I was wondering whether I
could tackle the steel reinforcement which involves having a 400mm x 6M
long, sq box made out of A142 mesh and marrying it with sheets of A142 mesh
and various lengths of 12mm ms bars. I' ve seen guys on building sites
twisting thin wire around steel mesh etc, but how do you bend the bars and
what kind of overlaps are required? Anyone have any experience or advice to
impart?

I refer to the following site:
http://www.nuneatonandbedworth.gov.u...cenotes/defaul
t.asp No2 Raft Foundation

Hi,

If I understood and read it correctly, the link you gave (doc 2 - raft
foundations) specifies the overlap at 450mm (point 11 at the bottom of
the list).

Bending 12mm rebar - no idea :-) Hopefully someone else will have an
answer for that. My only thoughts were Oxy Acetlyene to heat it enough
to allow bending. That would be fine for 12mm rebar alone, but in a mesh
I'm not sure.

Hth
Someone